canberrabirds

This morning in Taylor 140 Rock Doves

To: "" <>, "" <>
Subject: This morning in Taylor 140 Rock Doves
From: David Rees <>
Date: Fri, 22 May 2020 06:14:43 +0000

Could just as likely to be regular wheat I would think, available as seed by the tonne, an annual, and not weedy.  If it was it would be everywhere in southern Australia, after 200 years of production here.

David

This is a remarkable number of Feral Pigeons/Rock Doves to see in one place in Canberra. It also explains why this method of regrassing is not permitted at airports. The grain is likely to be sterile ryecorn which is often used in landscaping as a nurse crop when establishing perennial grasses. Ryecorn mostly does not develop viable seeds and being an annual it dies off once its job is done, but often attracts pigeons and galahs at the planting stage and wood ducks after it germinates.

Alison R