canberrabirds

Jerrabomberra Woodland Walk

To: 'Susan Robertson' <>, "" <>
Subject: Jerrabomberra Woodland Walk
From: Philip Veerman <>
Date: Wed, 13 May 2020 07:17:45 +0000

Fine. Sort of strange but “White front with red eyes, yellow cere and legs” fit both a Black-shouldered Kite and White Goshawk. Although the former has black around the eyes. I recommended to McComas Taylor that for later editions of his little field guide, that he move the text line “Powerful yellow legs” from Black-shouldered Kite, a bit down the same page to Grey Goshawk, where it is a far more suitable comment. But I don’t believe he took that advice.

Black-shouldered Kite will normally eat a mouse starting at the head to about half way, then the back half in one go, tail last. Not sure how useful that is, as there might be variations. Then again I don’t know whether a Goshawk would do it differently…….. Still I think Black-shouldered Kite is more likely but as it is known to be there, it will be on the record anyway so does not really matter…..

Many years ago (and I expect I have told this before)  at Kellys near the hide overlooking the river, I found a very decayed carcass of a Black-shouldered Kite, with an equally decayed carcass of a mouse, stuck head first, in its throat. I guess it died trying to swallow the mouse whole.

Philip