canberrabirds

Common Bronzewings nesting in Wamboin

To: "" <>, 'David Cook' <>
Subject: Common Bronzewings nesting in Wamboin
From: Philip Veerman <>
Date: Thu, 7 May 2020 08:10:37 +0000
Also, Pied Currawongs are regular predators of Crested Pigeon chicks in the
nest, right up to ready to leave stage. So why not the similar Common
Bronzewing.

Sent: Thursday, 7 May, 2020 1:15 PM
To: David Cook
Cc: 'COG Chatline'

As for, you comment about too big, I would not be too sure about that.
Years ago on one of those Lindenmayer surveys, I saw a Pied Currawong
carry off an about 2/3rds grown Australian Raven chick from the nest.

On 2020-05-07 10:52, David Cook wrote:
> Jack,
>
> Unfortunately, this breeding event has failed - we found a dead
> juvenile Common Bronzewing about 10m from the nest this morning. It
> was headless and tailless, but otherwise intact.
>
> Not sure what the culprit could be, Pied Currawong or Magpie would be
> my guess, though a bronzewing, even a small one, would be too big to
> carry for either species. It may have just fledged and crashed into
> something, or chased, then predated on the ground.
>
> The nest appears to be empty and as clutch size is usually two, we'll
> keep an eye out for another successful fledgling being fed.
>
> David
>
> On 25/04/2020 1:32 pm,  wrote:
>
>> Many thanks David, that’s an even more remarkable breeding event,
>> noting that the BIRD INFO data shows no Common Bronzewing breeding
>> of any kind between March and July (inclusive) and only a single
>> each of on/leaving nest and nest with young for February.
>>
>> The BIRD INFO data does show a longer/wider breeding season for the
>> White-winged Chough, including a single record of nest building in
>> April as well as in June.
>>
>> It’s great that both these records will be captured on your GBS
>> chart.
>>
>> Regards
>>
>> Jack Holland
>; Christine

Emails posted to the list that exceed 200 kB in size, including attachments,
will be rejected.
All emails distributed via the list are archived at
http://bioacoustics.cse.unsw.edu.au/archives/html/canberrabirds. It is a
condition of list membership that you agree to your contributions being
archived.
When subscribing or unsubscribing, please insert the word 'Subscribe' or
'Unsubscribe', as applicable, in the email's subject line.
List manager: David McDonald, email <>