canberrabirds

Gang-gang Cockatoos in Holt & flocking birds

To: Canberra birds <>
Subject: Gang-gang Cockatoos in Holt & flocking birds
From: John Layton <>
Date: Sun, 3 May 2020 01:20:44 +0000

In my dog-eared birders diary there’s an entry from April 1980, viz, Two Gang-gangs high overhead calling while flying south to north. That was the first and only time I’d seen Gang-gangs in West Belconnen until 09:30 this morning when I noticed a female and an immature bird clambering about on our large feijoa shrub. I returned to the house, fetched my binos and watched from the porch. Scarcely had I focussed when the red war-bonnet head of a male emerged from the foliage. A striking synecdoche of far-flung mountain forests in a Belconnen suburban garden!

Apropos flocking birds, at 10:30 today there were 38 Straw-necked Ibis feeding on the Holt Playing Fields close to the border with Higgins.

At 2:30 pm yesterday I counted 130 Galahs feeding  on Holt Oval and reckon I had maybe another 50 to go when around 50 more came wheeling down causing a reshuffling of those on the ground. So I quit counting to give my eyes a rest.

John Layton

Holt.