canberrabirds

Contact request for Stuart Harris (re peacock spiders)

To: Philip Veerman <>
Subject: Contact request for Stuart Harris (re peacock spiders)
From: Stuart Harris <>
Date: Sat, 18 Apr 2020 06:16:53 +0000
Hi Phillip,

Appreciate your consideration re the peacock spider article! I read it a few days ago actually.Ironically, my 'peacock spidering' days are numbered, as in season I spend most of my spare time (which is a lot) chasing jewel beetles and other invertebrates seen along the way. Of course, If I came across a peacock spider I would photograph it or collect it (with current permit) if appropriate.
The young scientist who wrote the article, Joseph Schubert, is a breath of fresh air in the arachnologist's world. He is keen, competent and super productive. I'm sure he will go on to take the tally of peacock spider species in Australia up to 100 or so !!? When Maratus harrisi was named in 2011 it was the 8th species! A lot has happened in the past ten years, mostly good, if not great, but also some low moments along the way and this is why I choose not to move in those circles anymore. This is not to say that the Coleoptera culture doesn't have its (personal) problems either, but......
Lastly, in Joseph's paper describing 7 new species, one of them I actually found in VIC in 2014. His paper describes it from a 'discovery' in VIC in 2016. As I citizen scientist I do my (mountain of) fieldwork, and hand specimens over to science (with relevant info). I do not then dictate what they do with that specimen or info. I certainly do not try and get various scientists and scientific institutes to better communicate with each other either. The humble work of a citizen scientist is often over looked, sometimes ignored, often convoluted and sometimes celebrated. You win some and you lose some. Not the first time this has happened either. Ce la vie.
The last (of seven) species i discovered (co-discovered/re-discovered) is in Joseph's capable hands at the moment and will hopefully get its time in the Sun in the next year or two?
To conclude, I have to say that my greatest solace in the weird world we are all experiencing is our avian friends, to hear them and to see them can make one's day!

Regards
Stuart