canberrabirds

Lowden Forest Park Waterwheel

To: COG chatline <>
Subject: Lowden Forest Park Waterwheel
From: Christine <>
Date: Wed, 15 Apr 2020 11:01:19 +0000
(sorry, sent this some time ago, but hadn't realised it had bounced as message went to spam and not seen :( )

Hi all,

at the last meeting I mentioned that I had visited Lowden Forest park earlier in March, and several people were interested in the fate of the water wheel. So I attach a photo which shows the area and the state of the wheel.
You can see a lot of new growth - startling green ferns against the blackened tree trunks. This was evident for the several kilometres drive into the park. The area is usually teeming with birdlife (and it is too painful to even think about the Gliders and other creatures which lived here), but we did find a couple of interesting mixed feeding flocks along the way. At Lowden Forest park itself, we heard one White-throated Treecreeper, but apart from that, not even a frog croaking.

Stay safe everyone,

Christine.