canberrabirds

Grey Goshawk in Kaleen

To: "" <>
Subject: Grey Goshawk in Kaleen
From: Philip Veerman <>
Date: Thu, 9 Apr 2020 11:55:08 +0000

Wondering if my bird would be the same one. The only clue is size and that is not easy. The bird I saw was comparable in size with the S-c C. Pizzey’s book give GG length as 40 - 54 cm, females would be the bigger ones. And S-c C length as 44-51 cm (but why so much variation?). So I can’t get far with that except it would suggest that the male GG would be smaller than the typical range of S-c C. I thought the one I saw was not smaller. But it was a brief observation. The shape & movements are noticeably different.