canberrabirds

Saving the RB Finches

To: chatline <>
Subject: Saving the RB Finches
From: John Harris <>
Date: Thu, 5 Mar 2020 22:55:04 +0000

Thank you to all those nice people who have contacted me and encouraged me to keep trying to look after the Red-browed Finches. It is WE who have degraded their habitat so the least we can do is try to supplement their now meagre resources. We just have to be sensible about what we do. I buy clean seed from Hall produce but I think you can get untreated seed at pet shops too. I avoid supermarket packets which have vitamin and mineral supplements (sometimes dyed bright colours so you can see they stuff is there! Dye can’t be good for caged birds  either.) I don’t believe that I am creating dependency but surely even dependency is better than death!

I wonder how I could explain to a finch that I was not going to feed them any more to avoid dependency? I wonder what they would think?

Seriously, however, I  will keep the chatline informed on the status of the flock.

Cheers

John