canberrabirds

End of the Koel Saga

To: Jack and Andrea Holland' <>
Subject: End of the Koel Saga
From: Denise Kay <>
Date: Sun, 1 Mar 2020 22:15:33 +0000
I just had a very brief visit from an adult female, keek keek keek . I know my juveniles have already left already.

On 2 Mar 2020, at 8:15 am, <> <m("bigpond.com","jandaholland");" class="">> wrote:

Philip, both from my own observations and from others I have published in my CBN summaries, there are sufficient examples of 2 or more Koel fledglings in close proximity, with in a number of cases two being together for days.  Also in the yet unpublished paper summarising the 2018-2019 season Diana White had three in her and her neighbours gardens in Narrabundah on one occasion, and in the following days 2 of these 3 were often heard or observed at the same time.   Pete Cranston had 3 together in the same tree less than 2 m apart in O’Connor on one occasion, then 2 of them stayed in his garden area for about 3 weeks.

So Koel fledglings certainly tolerate/associate with each other, I can recall no sign of aggression personally or through any of my correspondence with other observers.

There are also examples of Koel fledglings taken into wildlife care, for example, the final 2 entries in Table 4 of my CBN ( 43(3) 274-289 (2018) paper (in which you will also find the references to my other papers).  In the last paragraph of Section 5.6 of this paper, I suggested they were late leaving fledglings which had come to grief during their journey N.  In 2018-2019 Marg Peachey  gave me another 6 examples, and there have also been some this season.  I see no reason why they should not need to be taken into care the same as many other species’ fledglings often need to.

Jack Holland