canberrabirds

Interesting Currawong behaviour

To: "" <>
Subject: Interesting Currawong behaviour
From: Alison <>
Date: Sun, 1 Mar 2020 07:37:44 +0000

I heard a squawking coming from one of my birth baths so went out to see what was going on, just in time to see a Currawong fly off. From the squawking I thought it was perhaps a young bird.

The bird then flew back to the bird bath no less than seven times taking a drink or dipping itself into the water. It then flew across the yard to the same spot of grass in the shade to preen itself.

Interesting that it chose a very shallow birdbath when there are two other deeper ones it could have chosen.

Not sure if this is unusual behaviour but I’ve seen wattlebirds make repeated trips to a bird bath, but not seen a currawong do the same before.

Alison