canberrabirds

tomato eating bird query

To: 'B&RGraham' <>, "" <>
Subject: tomato eating bird query
From: Philip Veerman <>
Date: Sat, 15 Feb 2020 10:27:13 +0000

Thanks for the photo. Yes it is a Koel, as I thought. By the brown cap it looks like a juvenile, so Jack may like to add it to his list. No I’m not going to explain why it is that and not a Peregrine Falcon (or any kind of raptor) although the idea of a Peregrine Falcon eating tomatoes was entertaining. It is understandable that a person does not know what a Koel is and asks but it curious as to how people come to a specific wrong conclusion. Maybe you can refer the person to the COG photo gallery or something else, or a book.

But it is a little like the story in the local south coast newspaper many years ago, about Pied Currawongs feeding a Sea-Eagle and how strange that was. The “Sea-Eagle” was of course (as shown on photos) a young Channel-billed Cuckoo.

Philip