canberrabirds

Crimson Rosella feeding Juvenile Eastern Rosella

To: "" <>
Subject: Crimson Rosella feeding Juvenile Eastern Rosella
From: Philip Veerman <>
Date: Fri, 14 Feb 2020 00:55:37 +0000

Yes I was “referring to the Eastern Rosella in Kym's excellent photo”. Although Mark added a legitimate alternative point. Kym identified it as a juvenile and as I was not there to see the interaction, my default point was my usual, to agree. Maybe it was making begging noises typical of young birds. Maybe Kym noticed the wing bars whilst flying. Maybe Kym could add more detail about why (?) It looks like a juvenile to me from the photos (mainly from the extent of greenish around the nape). If it is an adult female, then on plumage, it is a very dull one (but within possible range). It is mid February, so I would expect dependant young feeding more now than courtship feeding would be. Although in this odd weather, odd things are possible. Courtship feeding is surely prominent during the same time of year as the “Activity at nest” phase, not after the breeding season is over. See below extract:

However, I did not look at the beak colour, as the above considerations didn’t raise it for me. The difference between adults and young in that feature is minor. From HANZAB “pale yellow or orange at fledging, changing to off-white (as adult) within first few months”. These 3 photos show the beak colour differently but Mark is right, it doesn’t look like a very young bird on that feature. Could the bird already be in transition, especially if the change occurs within the first few months(?)

Eastern Rosella Platycercus eximius

A conspicuous bird, by its bright colours, noise and confiding disposition. At home in any garden area, it

readily comes to seeds and fruit trees. ………………

Breeding records appear to have been stable. Activity at nest from mid August to mid December. Dependent

young from mid October to mid March though the majority are in December and January.

…………