canberrabirds

Park areas to remain closed

To: "" <>
Subject: Park areas to remain closed
From: kym bradley <>
Date: Wed, 12 Feb 2020 09:03:28 +0000
Yesterday I saw someone with a camera at NVC  as we drove past must not be able to read the  billboard prior to it

Anyway the below may be of interest

Due to the unprecedented damage in Namadgi from the wildfires, the Park West of the Murrumbidge is closed for rehabilitation.

UPDATED Friday 7 February 2020

ACT Conservator of Flora and Fauna, Ian Walker has made the decision to maintain the closure of several of Parks and Conservation managed areas until further notice.

“For safety reasons I have made the decision to maintain the closure of our managed estate west of the Murrumbidgee River,” Mr Walker said.

“This change allows for some of our recreation sites to be reopened, like Kowen Forest and the Mulligans Flat Sanctuary, while managing the public’s safety in our more remote areas.”

The following nature reserves are closed until further notice:

Namadgi National Park (including the Visitor Centre)
Tidbinbilla Nature Reserve (including the Visitor Centre)
Bullen Range Nature Reserve (west of the River only)
Stony Creek Nature Reserve (west of the River only)
Gigerline Nature Reserve
Lower Cotter Catchment
Rob Roy Nature Reserve
Blue Range Forest
Pierces Creek Forest
Hyles and Sherwood Forest
Ingledene Forest
Uriarra Forest (not including picnic areas at Uriarra Crossing) and
Googong Foreshores
The Bimberi Wilderness Area is also closed until the end of March 2020.

There is also a ban of naked flames across all of ACT Parks and Conservation Service’s managed estate, until the end of March 2020.

Five campgrounds remain closed for the entire fire season. These are:

Woods Campground
Honeysuckle Campground
Orroral Campground
Mt Clear Campground
Blue Range Campground.
The Cotter Campground is closed until further notice.

Additionally, the following roads in northern Namadgi National Park are closed for the entire fire season:

Old Mill Road
Warks Road
Blundells Creek Road
Mile High Road.
Swimming areas at the Cotter and along the Murrumbidgee River such as Kambah Pool, Pine Island, Point Hut and Uriarra Crossing will be open.

In an effort to accommodate recreational users, the Canberra Nature Park and pine forest areas east of the Murrumbidgee River will remain open to the public.

Electric barbeques provided at Casuarina Sands, Pine Island and in Canberra’s urban parks will be available, however all gas barbeques will be turned off.

Stay up to date on conditions and advice via the ESA website: https://esa.act.gov.au//

For more information contact Access Canberra on 13 22 81.