canberrabirds

re Molongl Reach Park

To: "" <>
Subject: re Molongl Reach Park
From: Rod Mackay <>
Date: Thu, 30 Jan 2020 22:13:26 +0000
Ahhh ... Jerrabomberra Creek and environs - an absolute Mecca for the
birdwatching kayaker. Nigh on thirty years I paddled it, enjoying the
peace, the solitude, the sights and sounds, the fauna, rarely if ever
seeing another sole on the water. Then a few years ago that appalling
sign appeared: "No watercraft"! And alas, Paradise was Lost ...no more
quiet musing while gliding silently along its glassy waters. Must admit
that on occasion since then I have been severely tempted to ignore that
sign but being the honest, God fearing law abiding citizen I am I never
succumbed to such vile temptation. So no Sandra, prime suspect though I
may have been, it was never I you saw "along the creek and and even
beyond the cycle bridge" ... unless it was on the Blitz weekend when I
had permission from the appropriate authority to enter that hallowed domain.

Seriously, it remains a mystery to me why paddlers should be locked out
and denied the opportunity to enjoy its recreational value. Power boats
fair enough.  But paddling? Which has somewhere between very little and
zero impact on the environment? Especially when compared with the impact
of cattle which are allowed to graze within the reserve proper.

I haven't noticed any appreciable adverse effect on the birds or other
wildlife over those nearly thirty years, and there have been many
highlights. Wildlife encounters with a platypus, water dragons, native
water rats, even a swimming tiger snake.  Not the least of my birding
highlights was being able to report on a whistling kite breeding event
back in 2007.  And escorting a couple of senior Cog members in a hired
canoe through "my" patch - we recorded 49 species and were fortunate
enough to include the rare sighting of a spangled drongo on that occasion.

So, where am I going with this? Probably nowhere, but at least I feel
better at having got it off my chest!

Cheers  Rod

On 28/01/2020 12:21 pm, sandra henderson wrote:
> Although I'm sure I'm not the only one who has seen canoeists along the
> creek, and even beyond the cycle bridge...
> Sandra
>
> On Tuesday, 28 January 2020, Chris Davey <
> <>> wrote:
>
>     Thanks to all for the responses. It would now appear that Molonglo
>     Reach occurs within the boundaries of the Jerrabomberra Wetlands,
>     that is up to the northern bank of the Molonglo River. Molonglo
>     Reach Park is the strip of land between the river and Morshead
>     Drive. For geese that are reported on the land they are designated
>     Molonglo River Park, if in the river then Jerrabomberra Wetlands,
>     but does it really matter!____
>
>     __ __
>
>     Incidentally, this stretch of the Molonglo River is the only place
>     in the Jerrabomberra Wetlands where canoeing is allowed.____
>
>     __ __
>
>     Chris____

Emails posted to the list that exceed 200 kB in size, including attachments,
will be rejected.
All emails distributed via the list are archived at
http://bioacoustics.cse.unsw.edu.au/archives/html/canberrabirds. It is a
condition of list membership that you agree to your contributions being
archived.
When subscribing or unsubscribing, please insert the word 'Subscribe' or
'Unsubscribe', as applicable, in the email's subject line.
List manager: David McDonald, email <>