canberrabirds

Fires

To: "" <>
Subject: Fires
From: Philip Veerman <>
Date: Tue, 21 Jan 2020 07:11:46 +0000

Fine, Martin but there are loose concepts in your sentence: seem & expected. It is all relative. I reckon valid to be concerned for lyrebirds, even if they are maybe less impacted than many other fauna, who can’t escape. Clearly some can and will outrun some fire conditions, just as with kangaroos. That people will see lyrebirds after fires is also sort of predictable. They will be displaced and easy to find with all the forest burned. Those probably few that survive (those on the edges maybe) may be able to find some food among the ash for a while, though I wonder how long food availability will last, until there is some regeneration of systems. Surely in this damage, those lyrebirds left are also surely far increased vulnerability to predation. COG did survey lyrebird habitat after 2003. I did mention on this line about the presence of lyrebirds along Bullen range in the years before & after 2003 fire. There was a long absence (at least as notable from hearing them along the Kambah Pool track). It also depends a lot on the size of area burned, as to their ability to re-establish. What is really bad this time is the extent of geography impacted.

Philip