canberrabirds

Juvenile.Koel

To: "" <>
Subject: Juvenile.Koel
From: Fiona Sweet Formiatti <>
Date: Sun, 19 Jan 2020 20:21:55 +0000
At the crack of dawn I heard a mature koel interacting with what sounded like an immature one. The younger one’s pitch was different & the sound ‘loop’ less complete. The ‘conversation’ woke me up & went on for a very long time! I wondered if adult koels play a role in ‘acculturating/teaching’ fledglings.
I can attest to the current increase in the diversity of what RWBs eat & also the preparedness of RWBs, normally
cautious kurrawong & other birds to dive in with magpies for mince-insectivore mix. Usually the magpies see all other birds off.

Sent from my iPhone