canberrabirds

Bird band and no ID

To: Canberrabirds <>
Subject: Bird band and no ID
From: "David McDonald (personal)" <>
Date: Fri, 17 Jan 2020 01:47:00 +0000
Greetings. COG has received the following request. If you can help, please respond to me or, if it is of more general interest, to the list, and I will pass your response on to the inquirer. The details were sent to the Commonwealth Bird & Bat Banding Scheme officers.
Best wishes - David

I found a strange bird stuffed in a fork of a tree in my back yard in Nov last yr (butcher bird)and found that it was banded. I sent the details and photo in to them but they have just replied that they can't help as the numbering on the band is not in the same format as they use. I wonder if you or any of your members could help in either or both of two ways: Id of the bird and info on who would use this band?

The bird was of med size and pink, white with some blue. Does not seem to be a juvenile galah and can't think of any other endemic birds. On looking through my bird bk., the only thing like it seemed to be the Bourke parrot which possibly could have passed through here.

The band was on the rt leg and was gold/deep yellow and read AD - 006 (I think).

Anyhow an interesting one and any advice/suggestions would be appreciated.

--
David McDonald
Canberra Ornithologists Group email lists manager