canberrabirds

Snipe Catch Day 3 Help Needed

Subject: Snipe Catch Day 3 Help Needed
From: Lori Gould <>
Date: Wed, 8 Jan 2020 22:53:18 +0000

Hi Everyone,

As you know, we have been catching Snipe over the last couple of days. In total we have caught 7 birds (3 on Wed morning and 4 this morning).

We affixed satellite transmitters to 2 birds yesterday which were of a very healthy weight, put them in our artificial wetland (in the education room) and watched them on nest cam continuously for 24hours. They both did very well so we released them this morning.

Of the 4 birds caught this morning (Fri), we affixed transmitters to 2, and they are now in our artificial wetlands being monitored. These will be released tomorrow morning.

Here is where you come in! We need help with the nest cam monitoring. This involves sitting at the computer in the lunch room at the Wetlands, observing the birds and writing down everything they do. Apart from the odd comfort stop, you would need to be prepared to stay at the computer continuously.

The time slots we need volunteers for are:

  • Today (Thurs) 5pm – 8pm
  • Tommorrow (Fri) 12 midnight – 2am
  • Fri 2am – 4am
  • Fri 4am – 6am

I realise these time slots occur in the middle of the night, so even an hour would be greatly appreciated. We will provide snacks, tea, coffee, drinks and so on.

If you can help please call Miriam Fokker on 0428 113 533. She is coordinating the effort. [I will be taking our Japanese guests to the zoo today to see some native animals (since our wonderful reserves are closed)].

By tomorrow morning we should have four birds being tracked. An amazing effort and we very much appreciate the efforts of everyone involved!

Cheers Lori

Lori Gould

Program Manager

Woodlands and Wetlands Trust (Jerrabomberra Wetlands)

M: 0439 030 058

PO Box 58 Fyshwick ACT 2609

www.woodlandsandwetlands.org.au