canberrabirds

Crimson Rosellas chick mortality

To: 'Michael Lenz' <>, 'B&RGraham' <>
Subject: Crimson Rosellas chick mortality
From: Philip Veerman <>
Date: Tue, 24 Dec 2019 10:42:44 +0000

My suggestion “The Crimson Rosella parents could have died (from predation or whatever)……..” is based on this quote: “After a week or so of no activity”. If the chicks had died first, whilst the parents were still trying to feed them, I would expect the parents still to visit for a while and to be quite noticeable about it. That quote suggests to me that the parents stopped coming, most likely due to being dead, which would result in death of the chicks. It doesn’t need for both to die. The mother does most of the feeding, if she died, then the father could abandon it, if it too difficult.

Also if the problem is reduced food, then it is more likely that one or two but not all chicks die, and not at the same stage but at different stages, as they would probably try to keep one going for longer or one be better at competing for food.

Philip