canberrabirds

OT Qld Bladder Cicada in Hughes

To: Canberra Birds <>
Subject: OT Qld Bladder Cicada in Hughes
From: "calyptorhynchus ." <>
Date: Sun, 22 Dec 2019 23:30:49 +0000
On Friday morning I discovered a dead cicada on Jensen Street, Hughes nr our house. It was large and green and unlike any cicada I have seen here or down the coast.
Today looking it up I came across this article from the Canberra Times in December 2016

Apparently a CSIRO scientist discovered the Qld Bladder Cicada in Lyons three summers ago and opined that it was introduced from the north in pot plant but that the sp didn't have good chance of surviving because the larvae are sensitive to frost, even underground.

Well at least one survived and managed to hop over to Hughes. I wonder if the sp is here is stay?

--
John Leonard