canberrabirds

Snipe Catch this weekend

Subject: Snipe Catch this weekend
From: Lori Gould <>
Date: Tue, 26 Nov 2019 07:23:36 +0000

Hi All,

Thankyou for volunteering to help with the Snipe catch this weekend. If you haven’t volunteered, please disregard this email (unless you are interested). I thought I would send it to everyone in case I missed someone….

Thursday 28th 11am until about 2.30pm

Construct wetland in the education room to hold and observe Snipe with transmitters fitted (for 24 hours as a requirement of our scientific licence to make sure the birds are OK before we release them).

Friday 29th 7pm

Arrive at Wetlands Offices to set up beds on the floor and get organised. I will get dinner of some description (probably a platter of meats, cheese, breads, salads and dips… and maybe a cooked chook). I would offer to cook Japanese pancakes again but we all know how that went last season….. :-0 BYO snacks to get you through the night.

We will do a briefing at this time.

Sunset – observe Snipe to ascertain when they leave Kelly’s

Set up mist nets. This will take until 11pm (ish) Bring waders if you have them. Gum boots are no good. I have several pairs but it’s basically first come first serve. Also bring a head torch if you have one.

Overnight – sleep until around 4.15am.

Saturday 30th 4.15am

Unfurl nets (selected team as we only want a few people for this)

Await arrival of the first Snipe, and around 5am (like a well-oiled military-style team) form a strategic line and flush Snipe into nets.

Return to Offices with Snipe and weigh and process the birds. Affix satellite transmitters to those that are large enough.

Hold satellite birds in afore-mentioned indoor wetland and watch via Go-Pro for the next 24 hours (we will organise volunteer shifts for this).

This will all take until about 10am.

Saturday 30th 7pm

Repeat Friday’s activities

Sunday 1st December

Repeat Saturdays activities and watch birds in indoor wetland all day (until Monday morning)

Monday 2nd December 9am

Release birds

Important Notes

  • This plan will be contingent on the weather, the number of birds we catch, so be prepared for things to change at the last minute.
  • You will need to bring your own bedding, clothes, snacks, head torch and waders (if you have them).
  • Children are welcome but they need to be supervised by a nominated adult at all times. We don’t want to lose any children in the swamp as it’s a bad look.
  • Volunteers are welcome to come for the whole catch or just for parts of it. We appreciate your help irrespective of how much / little you do.
  • It is very muddy and smelly in the swamp and there are lots of insects which buzz around your head all night.
  • It is hard to walk in the mud in the swamp so those with mobility issues are advised not to set up the nets. There is plenty of opportunity to sit and watch the birds on the Go-Pro in the comfort of the Offices.
  • My number is below.

Thanks for all your help and I look forward to seeing you.

Cheers Lori

Lori Gould

Program Manager

Woodlands and Wetlands Trust (Jerrabomberra Wetlands)

M: 0439 030 058

PO Box 58 Fyshwick ACT 2609

www.woodlandsandwetlands.org.au