canberrabirds

possible ID please

To: 'Alison' <>, 'COG List' <>
Subject: possible ID please
From: "" <>
Date: Sun, 17 Nov 2019 05:18:39 +0000
I agree with some of Philip's suggestions below. In many cases microscopic
examination of down from body feathers is more useful for determining the
order the bird belongs to than flight feathers. Down microcharacters of
Falconiformes are quite different from Acciptriformes and Strigiformes and
this can narrow down the possibilities before using flight feathers for the
final species identification.
Alison R