canberrabirds

Competition between woodswallow species? & flowering eucalypts

To: Michael Lenz <>
Subject: Competition between woodswallow species? & flowering eucalypts
From: Graeme Clifton <>
Date: Wed, 6 Nov 2019 09:46:06 +0000
Hi Michael,
Out here at a Carwoola the Red Box are flowering and our bee keeper is very
happy with the honey flow.  Interestingly the Red Box trees  don’t all flower
at the same time.  Some have finished and others nearby are still in bud.

The Dusky Woodswallows are nesting here communally in a big a Yellow Box.

Graeme Clifton

Sent from my iPad

> On 6 Nov 2019, at 6:41 pm, Michael Lenz <> wrote:
>

> Last week a flock of about 40 White-browed Woodswallows (WbW) was present at
> a site near Gundaroo, they seemed to have arrived there only recently. At
> least 3 pairs of Dusky Woodswallows have also been present for several weeks.
>
> Today the WbWs were distributed in pairs right across the site. I counted a
> minimum of 20 pairs. However, all Dusky Woodswallows were gone. They have
> bred at this site for the last 11 years or so since I started regular visits.
> I suspect the presence of so many territorial WbWs, almost evenly distributed
> across the area, with very similar requirements for food and nest sites may
> have driven the Duskies away.
>
> Last week I commented that flowering Yellow Boxes in the area failed to
> attract many insects and birds. The flowers appeared to produce little
> nectar. Today, the same was true for several flowering Red Boxes.
>
> Michael Lenz

Emails posted to the list that exceed 200 kB in size, including attachments,
will be rejected.
All emails distributed via the list are archived at
http://bioacoustics.cse.unsw.edu.au/archives/html/canberrabirds. It is a
condition of list membership that you agree to your contributions being
archived.
When subscribing or unsubscribing, please insert the word 'Subscribe' or
'Unsubscribe', as applicable, in the email's subject line.
List manager: David McDonald, email <>