canberrabirds

Help finding nests

To: "<>" <>
Subject: Help finding nests
From: Iliana Medina Guzmán <>
Date: Mon, 14 Oct 2019 03:19:51 +0000
Dear Canberra Ornithologists,

My name is Iliana Medina and I am a researcher at University of Melbourne. I am working with nests, trying to understand how the shape of these structures can affect the thermal properties inside the nests. To do this I need to find nests and measure thermal properties after chicks have fledged (all work is done on inactive nests).

It would be great if I could get help with locations of active nests for willie wagtails and fantails (rufous and grey). Ideally in Campbell Park, Mt Majura and Northern Canberra suburbs. We've got all licences and ethics permits required for the research.

This group was super helpful a few years ago when I was doing my PhD on yellow-rumped thornbills and cuckoos (thank you!), so I thought I would ask for help again from you.

If you know of any active nests below 2m, please send me a message to with the location information.

Thank you very much for your help,
All the best,
Iliana