canberrabirds

White-winged Choughs

To: John Layton <>
Subject: White-winged Choughs
From: Denise Kay <>
Date: Sun, 22 Sep 2019 07:22:22 +0000
They are fascinating birds and mincing is a perfect description.

I once witnesses a war at the ANU between rival gangs . I just happened to be underneath a bare tree on University Avenue observing an industrious nest making gang when from the West side of AD Hope a marauding gang attacked the nesting gang. A terrible fight ensured , a pair of birds fell at my feet at one stage , beak on beak, feet on feet . The fracas when on for at least 5 minutes and once the new nest had been demolished the marauders returned to the other side f AD Hope .

Quite a spectacle for all observers and it attracted a few.

I raised an “orphan” last year and the resident Giralang flock adopted it , it took a couple of encounters but I think it worked , well I was unable to catch him once he merged into the flock and they were very attentive ( which could mean anything form you're ok or we are going to kill you ….)  but I think it worked .

Denise Kay
Flying Fox Coordinator
ACT Wildlife