canberrabirds

Distinguishing between Pied currawongs: question

To: 'Canberra Birds' <>
Subject: Distinguishing between Pied currawongs: question
From: Philip Veerman <>
Date: Mon, 9 Sep 2019 23:15:54 +0000

Given the information that Mark supplied and of course the background that to obtain these banding approvals, there would surely need to be a reasonably solid basis for doing the study requiring the colour banding and what Denise revealed, which is hardly surprising, suggesting that catching and banding Currawongs would be at best very challenging. I reckon that puts an adverse context to my answer to Rick’s request for an easy method to distinguish these birds……. There isn’t. I wonder if putting leg bands on birds with many mites on their legs would be allowable / acceptable. It may make it worse. Just guessing. If the mite infestation on feet is relevant to Rick’s original question (I don’t know if it is), then it would be a targeted and biased bit of sampling.

Philip

From: Denise Kay [ Sent: Tuesday, 10 September, 2019 7:57 AM To: Canberra Birds            Subject: [canberrabirds] Distinguishing between Pied currawongs: question

It took residents 3 weeks to catch this one from Ainslie. After a month of basting the legs with oil to smother the mites . Edward the Currawong went back to Ainslie last Saturday . The legs are very thin and scared you can see how long the nails have grown under the infestation requiring clipping. A cranky and vicious bird drawing blood at any opportunity . I have no idea if the mites are painful .

Denise Kay

Flying Fox Coordinator

ACT Wildlife

You can't colour band any bird species without specific approval from the Australian Bird and Bat Banding Schemes and the ACT Parks and Conservation mob. As Philip has said, they are pretty well impossible to tell apart but males are slightly bigger. Physical deformities can sometimes be of use with individual birds as Con said.

Mark