canberrabirds

White-fronted chats.

To: "" <>
Subject: White-fronted chats.
From: Rod Mackay <>
Date: Fri, 6 Sep 2019 07:56:41 +0000
This may be, to use Ryu's words, one of the "many species which many
chatline subscribers would appreciate hearing about, which ebirders may
dismiss as unnoteworthy".  Apologies to Shorty and others for not
posting earlier...

The story goes like this:
Location: not quite in suburbia, but within shouting distance of Coombs,
on the western bank of the pond between Coombs and the RSPCA in Weston.

Thursday last week I heard a very faint call coming from one of the
small casuarinas on the banks of the pond.  Only a small tree but it
took me about 5 minutes to locate the bird which turned out to be a male
White-fronted chat.  Nice.

So back I went next day hoping for a repeat, and in the same vicinity
found a single male bird accompanied by 4 female or juvenile birds.
Nicer!

I returned again next day hoping for a "threepeat" and the flock had
multiplied to 2 male birds and 8 female/juveniles!  Their behaviour was
exactly as described in the Australian Bird Guide:  "When flushed often
flies ahead of observer and perches conspicuously on a shrub".  Also in
the vicinity were 2 Pipits.

Yesterday I could locate only one male bird, and today ... zip, zero.

I usually take this walk from Cooleman Court to the Molonglo River for
exercise rather than for birding, but have learnt to always take the
binoculars!  Other observations amongst 48 species I've managed to rack
up are 4 (green) satin Bowerbirds, a family of Choughs, currently
including a bird on a nest in one of the tall trees in the corridor
between St. Judes and Weston Creek, also good numbers of eastern
Rosellas, Red-rumped parrots, 6 duck species and a good variety of other
water birds at the first pond.

And at the conclusion of the walk there's the enticing prospect of a
nice coffee from the Cooleman Court precinct!

Cheers

Rod

Emails posted to the list that exceed 200 kB in size, including attachments,
will be rejected.
All emails distributed via the list are archived at
http://bioacoustics.cse.unsw.edu.au/archives/html/canberrabirds. It is a
condition of list membership that you agree to your contributions being
archived.
When subscribing or unsubscribing, please insert the word 'Subscribe' or
'Unsubscribe', as applicable, in the email's subject line.
List manager: David McDonald, email <>