canberrabirds

Bird photos

To: "" <>
Subject: Bird photos
From: Dr David Rosalky <>
Date: Fri, 2 Aug 2019 03:30:12 +0000

Even David Rees would suck in his breath at these

https://www.bbc.com/news/av/world-us-canada-49187301/audubon-photography-awards-is-this-the-perfect-wildlife-picture

On a personal experience, I have considered myself lucky that I rarely see or hear Noisy Miners in my GBS precinct.  But yesterday I heard the characteristic cacophony of mobbing NMs.  I located them in a eucalypt behind my house.  There were about six NMs chasing something.  A couple of Pied Currawongs flew in for the spectacle.  It turned out that the hapless target was a Satin Bowerbird (green).  It flew off after some close attention but had at lest one NM on its tail until I lost sight of it.  This SBB has been around a neighbour’s garden for some days, even sometimes churring in the thickets like a male with a bower.

I thought it was strange that a SBB would cause such a response from NMs.  But who am I to judge … ?

David Rosalky