canberrabirds

Peregrine Falcon observation

To: 'Richard Lane' <>, 'Canberra Birds' <>
Subject: Peregrine Falcon observation
From: Philip Veerman <>
Date: Wed, 26 Jun 2019 04:52:54 +0000

Thanks for your reply. Yes. Although I have seen many, it is not that often to see one at its most exciting. Actually the Peregrine Falcon is surely among the most often or widely written about of the world’s wild birds. Maybe in the top 10. Because of its long association with people, the extent of its distribution and the high regard in which it is held (except maybe by those who prefer the company of the birds it eats). Though not especially big or small or colourful it is surely among the most dramatic of any birds to watch. There is at least one whole book (by Dr Derek Ratcliffe) about them (I have a copy signed by the author) that has relevant information but that is mainly based in England. and not many general bird books would not include them. So I suspect many different answers to your question may all be true. A few points: Peregrine means wandering. Although that is not especially true in Australia, where they appear to be mostly resident. The bird in your photo is a young one. The one I watched was (I’m pretty sure) an adult. It never got closer than about 200 metres but I think close enough to pick adult features. I suspect that there is lots of data for the range or size of the territory of breeding pairs of Peregrine Falcons but it surely would vary greatly according to habitat. I would not expect there would be anything like a consistent answer for single birds. Then the question is how do you define territory (probably different from home range), could be the area immediately defended around the nest which is normally fairly easy to describe, or defended from other predators or distance to another neighbour of the same species, which surely is often greater than what they actually defend…There won’t be many places in the world where their population density is limited by their own territorial defences..

There is the well known nest site at red rocks gorge, which is maybe about only a few minutes flying time for them from Mt Taylor. I usually see them flying over my home more or less a few times each year.

Philip