canberrabirds

April 2019 project on Anticoagulant Rodenticides and Raptors

To: 'Jack & Andrea Holland' <>, "" <>, 'Con Boekel' <>
Subject: April 2019 project on Anticoagulant Rodenticides and Raptors
From: Don Fletcher <>
Date: Mon, 3 Jun 2019 01:47:47 +0000

Hi Jack

You could contact Mel Snape for the explanation, and to provide encouragement.

The key point is that Mel Snape of Conservation Research in ACTGOV (emails are given in David’s message below), obtained support from ACTGOV to extend, until April just past, a project she started with Jake Gillen and Mike Lohr. Her project is seeking to measure levels of anti-coagulant pesticides in, not only diurnal raptors, but any predator that could have eaten prey poisoned by anticoagulants. I understand there is no specific funding to continue the project in 2019/20 but actually if a very appropriate sample became available in future, I am confident that Mel or Jake would find a way to get it properly tested.  Raptors that eat rabbits, mice or rats, and other similar predators (e.g. quolls and goannas) would be high priorities.

So there is still a potential role for COG members. Members of the public could provide either the frozen carcass, or just the frozen liver, from the kinds of predator species which eat the pests that are targeted in Australia with anticoagulant pesticides. Predator carcasses with intact livers are uncommon in any case, and to obtain ones from areas where anti-coagulants have been deployed is even harder, so I am sure that Jake and Mel would appreciate any help that COG members are able to provide.

The explanation for the project is that ‘second generation’ anticoagulant pesticides (ones that are nationally approved and commonly used in household and industrial rodenticides, e.g. Brodifacoum, Coumarin) have been linked, in studies both overseas and in Australia, to episodic die-offs of owls that eat rats and mice.  ‘First generation’ anticoagulant pesticides break down quickly, such as Warfarin (nationally approved for use against rats and mice) and Pindone (nationally approved for use against rabbits), but they too are suspected (e.g. in Jerry Olsen’s papers in CBN and Corella that suggest the ACT’s Little Eagle population may have been reduced by eating rabbits affected by Pindone) but the evidence is not clear, hence the potential value of attempts to ‘drill down’ into the mechanism of the process by measuring anti-coagulant pesticide levels in wildlife.

In the current era of reduced funding nationally for biodiversity conservation, it is hard to get government funds for projects that are only indirectly and uncertainly linked to threatened species. (And there is not much prospect of a minister making a voter-winning announcement from the results of this study!)  So I would want to encourage Mel Snape, and her employer (and Jake Gillen’s), i.e. EPSDD in ACTGOV, who contracted Mike Lohr for his lab work.

regards

Don Fletcher

0428 48 9990