canberrabirds

Young Wood Duck trapped In nets at Holder Wetlands

To: Sue Beatty <>
Subject: Young Wood Duck trapped In nets at Holder Wetlands
From: Denise Kay <>
Date: Sat, 4 May 2019 02:51:06 +0000
You need to call ACT Wildlife Sue.

0432300033

Denise Kay
Flying Fox Coordinator
ACT Wildlife

On 4 May 2019, at 12:34 pm, Sue Beatty <> wrote:

I’ve been keeping an eye on these new wetlands established by the ACT Government as part of “ACT Healthy Waterways”. Not so healthy for the young Wood Duck that I found struggling in the net, hopelessly tangled and trying to keep its head above water to avoid drowning. I wasted 10 precious minutes trying to phone WIRES but gave up trying to navigate the phone options and plunged in to the pond to see if I could save the Duck. I got soaked up to the knees, but the poor thing died just as I discovered that I’d have needed strong scissors or a pocket knife to free it. I wonder how much longer the ponds will be surrounded by these nets. The Wood Ducks had successfully raised their family there until now, but until the last couple of days I don’t think there was much water in the ponds. Now the nets are trailing in the water just where ducks dabble.
I left the corpse hanging in the nets. Might take scissors next time I visit!
Sue