canberrabirds

Currawongs

To: John Harris <>, chatline <>
Subject: Currawongs
From: Jack & Andrea Holland <>
Date: Thu, 25 Apr 2019 22:50:18 +0000
John, not sure if anyone has responded to you, but large flocks of Pied Currawongs aren’t that unusual.  There was a group of 50-60 on Cooleman Ridge for a few weeks last winter, and I note that the 2017-2018 Annual Bird Report notes a maximum flock size of 104 for that year.  This was well below the 10 and 30 year averages of over 500.  I expect some of these would be similar to the roost flights over my place in the 1980s, where over 200 were regularly counted in the mornings as they flew over from their roost site at Narrabundah Hill/Mt Stromlo.

Jack Holland

Sent: Thursday, April 25, 2019 3:50 PM
Subject: [canberrabirds] Currawongs

At least 60 maybe 100 Pied Currawong’s on the east side of Percival Hill. I have never seen such numbers and wonder if others have.

There is normally a winter roost of 10 or 12 on Percival Hill but these numbers were remarkable, flying high and returning to the trees, calling loudly and  continually, perching mainly in the highest branches of the eucalypts but some lower, chasing each other etc etc. Has anyone seen similar?