canberrabirds

FW: [canberrabirds] Draft Cat Management Plan

To: chatline <>
Subject: FW: [canberrabirds] Draft Cat Management Plan
From: John Harris <>
Date: Tue, 9 Apr 2019 07:07:48 +0000

I agree with Steve. I live next door to Crace which is a cat containment suburb and have friends there. No, there is not much, or any, enforcement. The problem is that the people (or cats) have to be caught breaking the law in order to enforce it and that salary money would be better spent on the environment in some other way like planting bird attracting trees or whatever. But my friends tell me there is plenty of psychological pressure. They notice the rare cat and they work out whose it is. Most people who have cats are very careful. So it works.

It would be a good idea to have a proposal from COG as a whole. As someone said, there is enough world wide research. Of course we all know there are many factors and it is difficult to prove environmental effects in any given suburb but containing cats is a good thing anyway and it must help the wildlife in SOME suburbs. I am in Nicholls and back onto a reserve and I have seen next door’s cat with a wren. A cat containment rule may well have saved it.