canberrabirds

White-winged Choughs research presentation

To: Jenny Bounds <>, 'COG Chat' <>
Subject: White-winged Choughs research presentation
From: Jack & Andrea Holland <>
Date: Sun, 7 Apr 2019 22:20:59 +0000
Thanks Jenny, for those not able to make this Friday’s  presentation, Connie will also be giving the main presentation at the 8 May COG meeting.

Jack Holland

Sent: Monday, April 8, 2019 8:00 AM
Subject: [canberrabirds] White-winged Choughs research presentation

I have been asked to pass this on for those who may be interested.

Jenny

Friday 12 April at 3.30 pm

Eucalyptus Seminar Room, Robertson Building ANU

Constanza Leon (Final)

Exploring the social structure of white-winged choughs

Group-living animals are affected by both the physical and social environment they inhabit, influencing population dynamic processes such as reproductive success, survival and dispersal patterns; all of which ultimately shape the evolution of a species.

During my PhD I examined the social structure of white-winged choughs (Corcorax melanorhamphos), a highly social species of Australian bird. Choughs are obligate cooperative breeders, meaning they must breed in groups to produce offspring successfully. I explored the influence of variable climatic conditions on the population genetics of choughs and the fitness consequences of varying levels of relatedness between group members. I used network analysis to investigate the social dynamics within cooperative groups including the patterns of associations among individuals according to life history traits (age, sex), relatedness, cooperative efforts and personality.