canberrabirds

Honeyeater migration at Mallacoota

To: COG List <>
Subject: Honeyeater migration at Mallacoota
From: Martin Butterfield <>
Date: Fri, 22 Mar 2019 22:34:09 +0000
This is out of the COG AOI, but a fair few COG members seem to visit the area.

The combination of discussion about the Yellow-faced Honeyeater (YFHE) migration and Kathy Cook's comment about Friarbirds overflying Wamboin stirred memories of the migration I have reported to eBird for Karbeethong.

I recorded 3,000 YFHE moving along the Inlet on 10 April 2017 (and have a memory of Rod McKay reporting something similar to the chatline a week or so later).  My peak for Red Wattlebirds was 297 on 18/5/2018: my comments included "100+ in one flock, 50+ in another",  For reasons that escape me Friarbirds are much less common down here so I have no records of them en masse.