canberrabirds

Re: [eBird Alert] Australian Capital Territory Rare Bird Alert <daily>

To: Canberra Birds <>
Subject: Re: [eBird Alert] Australian Capital Territory Rare Bird Alert <daily>
From: calyptorhynchus <>
Date: Thu, 21 Mar 2019 00:01:29 +0000
Oops I read it as Striated

JL

On Thu, 21 Mar 2019 at 10:51 Mark Clayton <> wrote:

I am afraid I can't see any reason why this Spotted Pardalote record has made the E-bird alert as a rare bird. ALL Spotted Pardalotes of the race cited Pardalotus punctatus punctatus are the normal race recorded in the ACT. There are only two other races in Australia, millitaris which is found in north-eastern Queensland, and the "Yellow-rumped" race xanthopyge found in southern mallee; there is one record in Canberra in 1965 on Black Mountain. The normal rump colour of the race punctatus can vary quite a bit - this from experience with birds in the hand. At The Charcoal Tank Nature Reserve near West Wyalong where we have been banding for nearly 33 years, we have banded over 100 Spotted Pardalotes in habitat that includes mallee woodland and only once have I noted a bird that we were happy to call a "Yellow-rumped" race based on the rump colour.

Could the observer who reported this bird care to explain why it is listed as a rare bird on E-bird?

Mark