canberrabirds

Rainbow Bee-eaters at Mulligan's

To: COG Chatline <>
Subject: Rainbow Bee-eaters at Mulligan's
From: Julie Clark <>
Date: Sat, 16 Mar 2019 07:58:49 +0000
Hi All,

A morning walk at Mulligan's Flat this morning turned into an hour of being entertained by 6 Rainbow Bee-eaters. I've never seen them there before, and, on checking eBird records, it appears that the four previous sightings have all been of 1 or 2 birds and all in October.

The birds seemed to enjoy flying with the fairly strong breeze, almost playing, it seemed, at times. After a while they began catching insects (not sure what exactly) and feeding, perching quite often ... There were definitely 2 younger birds and 1 adult male and female, but I couldn't be sure what the other two were. It was almost impossible to keep track of them. I only know that there were at least 6 because four birds were perched at one stage and another two were still  flying and calling.

It certainly made my day!!

Some photos on Flickr ....

Cheers
Julie