canberrabirds

Some good news for Eastern Curlews?

To: Philip Veerman <>
Subject: Some good news for Eastern Curlews?
From: David Rees <>
Date: Mon, 25 Feb 2019 21:49:37 +0000
Sorry Phillip but the value of Gilbert White's work is that it has survived.    I know the place well where he worked and his observations can be compared with now, down to the behaviour of individual species.  Fortunately the area remains pretty similar to what it was in his day. Ordinary people had a struggle to simply survive back then, literacy levels were low,  country clerics etc. on the other hand were literate and on a good wicket.  These folk have given us some of the oldest well-recorded 'citizen science', at least in the English speaking world, and also, I understand, elsewhere in Europe. All this happened well before good digital cameras and Canberra nature map etc.......

David