canberrabirds

Re: Superb Parrots was Puzzle ID

To: Dr David Rosalky <>, "" <>
Subject: Re: Superb Parrots was Puzzle ID
From: Jack & Andrea Holland <>
Date: Sat, 16 Feb 2019 02:05:36 +0000
David, based on sightings over spring/summer Superb Parrots are no longer unlikely on the Southside, 50 were seen in Lyons in October and since then there have been many observations reported, including up to 30 birds with dependent young off Kent St Hughes by John Leonard and others.

Contrary to my speculation in my February Gang-gang column that they may roost N of the Lake, Chris Davey suspects that they breed and roost on the Southside.  Based on the research on the two northside roosts at Watson and the Belconnen Golf course, he expects the latter would be within 10 km of where they breed/feed.

So something for subscribers to look out for early in the morning and at dusk.

Jack Holland

Sent: Saturday, February 16, 2019 8:46 AM
Subject: [canberrabirds] Puzzle ID

When I was perusing my GBS precinct this morning, I heard sounds a bit like a galah but somehow thinner in intensity.  I saw a flock of birds disappearing behind some trees but managed to get about 2 seconds of good views when they re-emerged.

The birds were longish parrots in a tight formation of about 25 in number flying SW from my Deakin home.  Their colour from the back was monochrome limey green.  There was no colour on their heads and the sound was not right for Rainbow Lorikeets.

The only species I can think of around Canberra that fits the description is Superb Parrot, as unlikely as that may be.

If anyone has other ideas, I would like to hear them.

David Rosalky