canberrabirds

Re: ANU Superbs

To: 'COG List' <>
Subject: Re: ANU Superbs
From: Philip Veerman <>
Date: Sun, 27 Jan 2019 07:06:29 +0000

I know this is very peripheral but brings to mind a story. When in Philippines last April we did a 2 day trip to northern Luzon. One event: I found immediately behind a road block some farmer had decided that the main highway was a good surface on which to dry the rice. So about 100 metres of road surface was covered with rice, with many people carefully scraping and turning it with big wooden “shovels”. I wondered what is this and it was explained as quite normal. As we continued we saw many other variously long (but 100 metres was typical) road patches covered with rice and the same activity, where there was a bit of road that was unavailable for driving on (and even some that were). Mostly cars and trucks would just use the other (so half of the time the wrong) side of the road, to not drive over the rice or the people turning it. There is not much OHS or road safety concerns there. Nor are there parrots to worry about.

Philip