canberrabirds

Update on Weird Snipes

To: "" <>
Subject: Update on Weird Snipes
From: Lori Gould <>
Date: Fri, 25 Jan 2019 07:16:05 +0000

Hi All,

Message from Dr Birgita Hansen who is following up on the strange Snipe we caught:

‘I have followed up on the two weird birds we caught. It is still hard to say anything about the bird with the 20 tail feathers as the rest of its measurements were within the normal range for Latham’s snipe and mostly outside the range for Swinhoe’s snipe. Except of course there has never been a record of Latham’s snipe with 20 tail feathers that I can find. Our friend Mr Yellow Legs had all measurements within the range of Swinhoe’s snipe, except the tail length. This means that either I measured the tail wrong or that this bird truly is a weird Latham’s. After everything I’ve read I’m leaning toward it being a Swinhoe’s Snipe – that would be amazingly exciting if so! The only way to answer this question now is through genetic analysis – thank goodness we collected a reasonable blood sample from each bird!’

Will keep you posted.

Cheers Lori

Lori Gould

Program Manager

Woodlands and Wetlands Trust (Jerrabomberra Wetlands)

M: 0439 030 058

PO Box 58 Fyshwick ACT 2609

www.woodlandsandwetlands.org.au