canberrabirds

are Double-barred Finches declining in the ACT? - Using website data

To: 'Con Boekel' <>, "" <>
Subject: are Double-barred Finches declining in the ACT? - Using website data
From: Julian Robinson <>
Date: Thu, 24 Jan 2019 08:02:31 +0000

In my limited experience Con’s item #3 is likely a big factor for the Double-barred Finch and other similar seed-eaters.  The only place I follow reasonably well is Callum Brae and in my 12 years observing the reserve has gone from a summer thigh-high seedy (and weedy) grass patch that contained at least some native grass (like Kangaroo Grass), to today being close-cropped stubble with hardly a grass seed in sight.  In my early days DBFs were common, but I haven’t seen one now for several years.

The grass is heavily grazed by roos and rabbits, and rarely – if ever – makes it to seed any more.