canberrabirds

Which hide and time of day?

To: 'Canberra birds' <>
Subject: Which hide and time of day?
From: John Harris <>
Date: Sat, 5 Jan 2019 01:20:52 +0000

To a simple-minded observer like me, the fact that bitterns are ‘nocturnal’, that is, active at night, is a useful piece of information. It does not preclude them being active in the day but it is useful information to me to know that a bird I disturb at night is likely to be a bittern. There is one around here at the moment – Ginninderra Creek below Percival Hill. I have never seen it in the daylight although I am there every day. I often walk the 100 metres to the creek of an early evening. I have never to my knowledge disturbed a swamphen of a coot or any other of the different water birds which I see there every day. But if I disturb a water bird at night, and I have been able to see and identify it, it has always been a bittern , at least here in this creek. At full moon a fortnight ago, I was able to identify the bird. Now if I hear it but don’t see it clearly enough, I presume it to probably be a bittern. I do not presume it to be a moorhen or a heron, although they are common here. No, I don’t report it if I don’t ID it, but ‘nocturnal’ is a useful piece of information about the bittern and helps a positive ID if I am expecting a bittern and glimpse its shape. If I hear or disturb a bird at night, it is sensible to presume in the first instance that this is a bird which is active at night. So ‘nocturnal’ is a useful descriptor. This doesn’t mean it might not be active in daylight hours but I have yet to see it in daylight.

John Harris

Rev Dr John Harris,

36 Kangaroo Close,

Nicholls, ACT 2913