canberrabirds

FW: [canberrabirds] Koels and related matters

To: "" <>
Subject: FW: [canberrabirds] Koels and related matters
From: Geoffrey Dabb <>
Date: Sat, 29 Dec 2018 02:04:38 +0000

Thanks Michael.  Various reasons of course.   The point is that the koel, although not everyone’s favourite subject, may be a very good subject so far as recordable trends are concerned.  (a) it is relatively easily observed, especially the dependant young; (b) in our area it is almost exclusively an urban/suburban species i.e. not being found in woodland or forest, although possibly in orchards etc; (c) it is here by reason of a recent and continuing southward expansion of its migratory pattern, and being highly mobile has a ‘choice’ whether to visit, and remain, in this immediate environment;  (d) it is dependant on, and here because of, the Red Wattlebird, and as you suggest its breeding success depends on favourable conditions for RWB pairs.  Variation in calling is of interest because I believe it is related to presence or absence of females in particular locations, but we need to know more. The effect of suburban expansion of the Noisy Miner is of interest to me, but perhaps best treated as a separate issue