canberrabirds

Fwd: FW: Red Hill WOO Survey [SEC=UNOFFICIAL]

To: Canberra Birds <>
Subject: Fwd: FW: Red Hill WOO Survey [SEC=UNOFFICIAL]
From: Harvey Perkins <>
Date: Wed, 12 Dec 2018 02:36:08 +0000

---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: Perkins, Harvey <>
Date: Wed, 12 Dec 2018 1:33 pm
Subject: FW: Red Hill WOO Survey [SEC=UNOFFICIAL]
To: Harvey Perkins <>

Stuart Harris and I did the Red Hill survey in perfect calm conditions on Sunday morning (9 December), although it did warm up very quickly and by the time we finished at 8:30 it was already 26°C. The rains in November have had some impact, with a sparse and low emergence of green in the otherwise fairly barren ground, and the occasional flush of fresh shoots on a few of the still struggling trees. The smattering of flowering that was evident was generally by weeds, including St Johns Wort and  Patterson’s Curse, but also the odd Black Wattle. Bird-wise it was surprisingly active, with the total number of species (36) and individuals (308) slightly up on the 21 year average for summer surveys on the Hill (32.1 and 282). Twenty-two species were recorded on sites, and an additional 14 off-site. Still relatively low numbers of small bush birds. I know this is a trend across pretty much all WOO sites, but I do wonder about the impact of the ever-increasing numbers of walkers and joggers, and their dogs (although gratefully the vast majority of the later are on leash). Summer highlights included a pair of Sacred Kingfishers, a pair of Dollarbirds, a male Leaden Flycatcher, and an oriole and Fan-tailed Cuckoo heard. For those following Noisy Friarbird numbers this season, only three were recorded (including a pair seen carrying food to a nest). Otherwise very little evidence of recent breeding. And no Square-tailed Kites!

Harvey

Dr Harvey Perkins
CRC Projects
Industry, Research and Investment

AusIndustry – Industry Capability and Research

Phone +61 2 6213 7472
Internet:
www.business.gov.au |Subscribe to news updates

Department of Industry, Innovation and Science
Industry House, Level 8.011C
10 Binara Street, Canberra ACT 2601
GPO Box 2013, Canberra ACT 2601
ABN 74 599 608 295

https://corporateservices.zendesk.com/attachments/token/TWdHDXJ9WjGSy8yGoYUJQRuO9/?name=Facebook_60x60.pnghttps://corporateservices.zendesk.com/attachments/token/wBBFwPCvfunZ8vgx0poGaqLGa/?name=Twitter-Filled_60x60.png LI https://corporateservices.zendesk.com/attachments/token/1up267NHc1exPiQVaPtXEdALq/?name=youtube_60x63.png

cid:<script language=m("01D36398.6668F650","image001.png");">The department acknowledges the traditional owners of the country throughout Australia and their continuing connection to land, sea and community. We pay our respect to them and their cultures and to the elders past and present.

Unofficial

Unofficial