canberrabirds

Increase in Koel activity

To: "" <>
Subject: Increase in Koel activity
From: Jack & Andrea Holland <>
Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2018 06:19:21 +0000
While their relatively late arrival and, at least in my local area, much more ko-el calling than in previous year, seemed to promise a different and quieter Koel season, events of the past couple of days seem to have turned things on their head.

After hearing my first female less than a week ago, Koel activity around my place in Rivett/Chapman over the past two days has increased significantly, with a party of at least three birds calling/disputing, including in or near my GBS site, for much of the day.  This has consisted of a male still giving pretty much continuous and persistent ko-el calls, and less frequently another male giving the whoa call (the two can often be heard at the same time) accompanied by a female’s kek kek kekking, or at least early on, a different call sounding more like a Dollarbird.  I susoect that this activity may relate to a now completed Red Wattlebird nest in a flowering plum just above eye level outside our bedroom window. So I’ll be keeping a close eye on this, as I will be on a nest in a hakea bush at the corner of Hindmarsh Drive/Darwinia Tce in Duffy, where a similar (possibly the same) party was present yesterday morning and the female dived into it vigorously pursued by 2 Red Wattlebirds, before very soon exiting while still being harassed.

Jack Holland