canberrabirds

Re: Wednesday walk to Baroona Rd

To: COG List <>, COG Wednesday Walkers <>, gang-gang <>, "" <>
Subject: Re: Wednesday walk to Baroona Rd
From: Martin Butterfield <>
Date: Wed, 21 Nov 2018 07:29:45 +0000
An alert reader pointed out that the image on eBird showed the Rufous Songlark to be a female White-winged Triller.  So the formal entry for Gang-gang should be:
7 members didn’t believe the BoM weather forecast and gathered at Baroona Rd for a guided tour by one of the owners of Illilanga of their property and the adjoining wetland.  While the wind was a tad gusty there was not a drop of rain during the outing!

We began with a loop around a woodland remnant particularly notable for interesting nest sites.  These included White-faced Heron (Occupied Nest); Brown Falcon (Nest with Young); Yellow-rumped Thornbill (Carrying Food); Easter Rosella and Common Starling (both Inspecting Hollow, with some disputation over ownership); and Dusky Woodswallow (Occupied Nest).

Less common species observed, but not undertaking breeding activity, were Speckled Warbler, and male and female White –winged Trillers.  The only cuckoo observation was a brief call by Horsfields Bronze-Cuckoo.  A full list of the 28 species seen at this site is at https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S50088909

We then proceeded to the large wetland on an adjacent property being developed as wildlife habitat.  The big-ticket item in this wetland was a male Musk Duck and he duly appeared (and as is normal for this species disappeared frequently beneath the water).  The only breeding activity recorded in this site was Golden-headed Cisticola where chicks were heard begging in a bramble when an adult entered the bush.

Less common species seen here also included 2 Black-fronted  Dotterels  seen on mud banks in the larger water body.  The full 22 species list is at https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S50090195.

Overall we recorded 39 species for the day.