canberrabirds

RE: Snipe recapture

To: "" <>
Subject: RE: Snipe recapture
From: Lori Gould <>
Date: Sun, 18 Nov 2018 00:48:32 +0000

Hi Everyone,

I am pleased to announce that we have recaptured a Latham’s Snipe called ‘P3’ from last season who has travelled all the way to Japan and back. He had a geolocator attached to his leg and we have downloaded all the data from his tracking device, and relived him from his extra ‘jewellery’. He was in very good health with legs both legs intact, and although his spirits seemed relatively high, they improved once we released him (for obvious reasons).

We will have a migration map out soon (there is a bit of cleaning up of data and the like), but basically for us this is like winning a grand final - if you are into that sort of thing. We have had a hard couple of months, and this makes us realise why we do what we do. Our plans for the future include satellite tracking of 6 birds in January, radiotracking of 4 birds (until March), and then we can relax a bit for next season where we will do catch sessions in response to your reports of sighted birds (photos are obviously best).

As always your reported sightings and photos are invaluable and we appreciate your continued support (which has been overwhelming). The ‘eyes and ears’ of Jerra Wetlands are our most valued contribution and I cannot thank all the volunteers involved with this program enough. My special shout-out goes to Birgita Hansen who is the most amazing bird researcher I have ever met.

Thanks again,

Lori

Lori Gould

Program Manager

Woodlands and Wetlands Trust (Jerrabomberra Wetlands)

M: 0439030058

PO Box 58 Fyshwick ACT 2609

www.woodlandsandwetlands.org.au