canberrabirds

The unmentionables in the Hinterland

To: COG List <>
Subject: The unmentionables in the Hinterland
From: Martin Butterfield <>
Date: Thu, 15 Nov 2018 08:27:24 +0000
During a stroll around the Queanbeyan Weir area today I crossed the Mighty Stream adjacent to the Royal Queanbeyan Golf Club.  As i got back to terra firma off the suspension bridge I could hear three different Koels doing wirra-wirra calls.

Meanwhile, back in my own bailiwick, I was sent a photo of a female Koel in Radcliffe Estate this morning.
15 02 Pacific Koel.jpg
On posting this to the local Facebook page another resident who lives close to the photographed location mentioned that one of these birds had been at her place a few days earlier.  Apparently engaged on a singing contest with a Common Blackbird!