canberrabirds

See me after the talk 2

To: 'COG List' <>
Subject: See me after the talk 2
From: Philip Veerman <>
Date: Sat, 13 Oct 2018 00:44:39 +0000

Focussing on the aspect of history, I would suggest that it is not correct to characterise this as that later taxonomic information overrides the old stuff. This is because of the principle that original names take precedence over new names, when it comes to problems. Indeed changes often happen when a name is given, that cannot be used, because it is already assigned to something else. Then a correction needs to be made. This whole process may take decades to unravel. The earlier name will be the one that stands for the creature that it was assigned to. It is correct that later scientific information also often changes the understanding of relationships and this is presumably the main reason for changes of names. Although I suspect Martin is commenting on recent opinion pieces, which are just that, and not constrained by the International Rules of Zoological Nomenclature.

Philip